Tour Service

* Comfort, Safety, the Quality of Experience, and the Spirit of Adventure! After all, "Time is Money" *

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Flatiron Building

The Fuller building is a result of the past merging with the present. 

It became known as the Flatiron Building. 

Working with kids, I often ask if they know what a flatiron is, and the answer I get from a fourteen year old is, “it is what I used to straighten my hair.” 

I have to explain, “a flatiron is a triangle cast iron, iron, used when New York City was the center of the garment district.” 

The Fuller Building sits on the crossroads of 5th Avenue and 23rd Street. Within the concept of the Grid Plan of 1811. Broadway does not conform to the grid because it follows the Native American Indian trial familiar to everyone at the time. It cuts a rectangle into a triangle. 

Technology was booming in 1901 and the Fuller Building becomes the tallest building in New York City at 23rd Street. 

The past dictated the reality of this building. It is one of my favorite stories to tell. 



I can’t wait to see you in New York City and share more of this story. 




No comments:

Post a Comment